Monday, December 15, 2014

A Really Bad Job?



A point was brought up in my Sunday school class yesterday that stirred a question in my mind: When Satan torments people, is part of it doing a job that God assigned him? Frankly, the idea that Satan had some kind of compulsion to inflict misery on people hadn’t occurred to me. I had always assumed that it was simply spite. Looking around online, however, seemed to indicate that the idea was somewhat common. I don’t know what the percentages are, but a notable amount of people think that punishment of the damned is at least part of Satan’s job description. While I don’t claim to be the last word in theological wisdom, I have my doubts, and here is why…

In the scriptures that describe hell, it is a place of torment. When people, unforgiven sinners, are suffering in hell, as in the parable of Lazarus and the beggar or Christ’s descriptions to the apostles, there is no mention of Satan or demons taking part. There is no need for them to do any work to make people in Hell suffer. Hell itself is doing the work. The scriptures do mention that hell was created for Satan and his demons, but not as a kingdom. It is a place of torment for them as well. From that standpoint, it is easy to understand why the devil pursues and mistreats those whom God loves. And that’s why I don’t think that Satan loves anyone. I am sure that He did once, an angel described as perfect for a time, but I don’t believe he does anymore.

And here’s the last line on this religious “Op-Ed” piece: I believe that Satan had a second chance. Maybe a third, fourth. Maybe he even received the proverbial “seventy-times-seven” chances. I believe this because I look at the completely evil things that “Godly men” such as King David did, and they still received forgiveness after repentance. Paul, Abraham, Jacob…the list goes on. The Bible is awfully short on perfect people. I count exactly one. And yet for each imperfect, hard-hearted, rebellious man who turns around, God gives a welcoming embrace. I find it hard to believe he made no provision for reconciliation with his earlier creations. Obviously, that isn’t authoritative. A war in heaven is a war among great powers. I am less than a small power, with an understanding to match. I only have faith in the nature of Him in whom I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment