Monday, February 17, 2014

Can You Stand Alone?

Our church is presently emphasizing "community" as a part of spiritual growth. I can recognize the value in a lot of areas, though I have to confess that it doesn't mean as much to me as it does to a lot of people. My personality is such that I tend to seek quiet and solitude, the eternal introvert, content with family and a few close friends. I must confess, the friends that I believed to be closest placed a lower value on the relationship than I did, which is a sadness for me, but not a crippling one. I'm sure the reasons disappointed them as well, and we'll all survive it physically. Our spiritual health may be another matter.

Though a loner by nature, I recognize the power of community. Growing up as a "nerd" I went through my period of longing for acceptance. I think it lasted about twenty years, give or take. Part of my particular flavor of nerdiness is a near complete inability to read what people want or expect from me in social interactions, you see. So sooner or later, I would show them an honest aspect of my character that they just couldn't deal with, and that would be that. I might not be banished totally, but I was definitely off the Christmas card list.

I will try to be as honest with you and myself as I can. I certainly have my annoying tendencies. A lack of tact in discussions is one of the more prominent ones, but not the only feature that others can find off-putting about me. I tend to see many things as "black and white" that most feel a good deal more comfortable casting in shades of grey, and I can rightly be called injudicious about picking my battles. Some have been worthwhile. Some probably have not. I am neither a crusader nor a martyr, nor do I feel there is a grand conspiracy out to get me. I guess you could just say that they were part of a community where I was not welcome. It happens.

There is much to be gained by strengthening the bonds of community within the church. Small groups can be a great place to start local projects and ministries, and a great way to build relationships within the church. The one thing that we must always look carefully at is building the most important relationship of all, the one between God and man.

It's discipleship, spiritual growth, that will really show the value of this emphasis for me. I say this because it appears to me that we are entering one of the more challenging times in the church's history. There has already been a great deal of persecution of believers overseas, and more testing all the time of believers in the states. I think that will continue, and as it does, more and more of those who claim Christ will have to stand and give account before men. And they will not stand as a community. They will stand alone, at least as far as the eyes of unbelievers can see. They will stand and answer in a manner that will either bring glory to God, or the illusion of escape, suffering in public or torment in private.

Many have already had to make this choice recently. Some have had guns pointed at them. Some have been faced with prison sentences. Some have been faced with firing, or loss of their job. Some have stood their ground and spoken for Christ. Some have recanted. Whatever the case, they have not faced charges as a "community." They have faced them as an individual. Alone.

Can you stand alone?

2 comments:

  1. Agree in many respects but not all. I have found that I cannot build a relationship with God without building relationships with others. One seems to follow the other. Solitary efforts at drawing closer to God (and I define that as the process of repentance, i.e.ridding myself of sin) through solitary efforts, did not work. I had to make myself available to others, often times in a humiliating way. I don't claim that is universally true but I find it true in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand your point, and agree as well. I go back to the part in the scripture where Paul compares the church to a body with many parts. I think that doesn't just refer to gifts and talents, but also the basic personality traits that help to shape those gifts. If you have ever heard of or taken the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI), then you will understand what I mean when I say that I am an extremely polarized introvert. No extroverted tendencies at all. (Check out the link for more information if desired.) My daughter Deb is about the same. Pam and Miri are less so to varying degrees, but still on the introvert side of the coin. I love Andy dearly as a pastor, but when he talks about the constant need for community I can't relate. In ancient times, I would have been a contented sheepherder, probably, watching the flocks out by myself or perhaps with one or two others for long stretches, or perhaps a monk, quietly copying pages of scripture for preservation.

    I'm glad that God has a place for all types of personalities in his church. In fact, I'm sure that it's necessary. It may help us to learn patience, if nothing else.

    http://www.fastcocreate.com/1683402/your-guide-to-interacting-with-an-introvert

    ReplyDelete