Saturday, April 4, 2015

The "Form of Godliness"



As I listened to the radio yesterday, I caught part of an interview with Haaz Sleiman. For those unfamiliar with the man (and you can count me among them), he is an actor of some note. The subject of the interview was his part in the National Geographic movie “Killing Jesus,” based on the book co-authored by Bill O’Reilly. He plays the title role.

While I have read several of Mr. O’Reilly’s historical works, I will state plainly now that I have not read “Killing Jesus.” I may get to it sometime in the future, or not. As such, I have no opinion about the book one way or the other. I mention it only to provide context for Mr. Sleiman, whom I also have no opinion about as an actor or a person. My interest here is about a single exchange in the interview.

While discussing the movie, Mr. Sleiman mentioned his great affection for Jesus. He was very definite about how his knowledge of Jesus has changed his life, particularly over the last decade. He praised Jesus’ teachings about love for one another, peace, generosity, and acceptance. I was with him right up to that point. Then he made a statement that took me right out his camp. While I don’t recall the exact wording, the message was clear enough: “God and Allah are one and the same.”

There was more discussion afterward. He went on to mention how he wasn’t really religious, though he was “spiritual” (whatever that means). He emphasized inclusiveness. There was more. It didn’t matter to me. I had lost interest.

I do understand what the man was saying, or at least I believe I do. “Allah” is the word for “God” in the Muslim faith. So be it. But having the same name doesn’t make things the same. Calling a dog a cat doesn’t make it cat. Calling a boy a girl doesn’t make him a girl. Calling a ceremony between two of the same sex a wedding doesn’t make it a wedding. And whatever you call the Muslim deity, that doesn’t make it God.

There are lots of differences you could point out between the two, but most of those are just indicators, consequences of the same fundamental difference: God has a Son. Allah does not. Paying lip service to Christ, putting him as a prophet second only to Muhammed, still boils down to one thing: You are placing faith in men, not God. Obeying men, idolizing men, pursuing the petty, violent goals of men, not God. 

Tomorrow, Christians around the world will celebrate Easter. It is a time of rejoicing in the salvation provided by God through His Son. It should also be a time to remember the words of Paul to Timothy, that while there are many in the world who claim “a form of godliness,” we worship THE form of Godliness. God in the flesh, given for our pardon, sacrificed for us. Let us always remember the value of this great gift, provided by the Father: His one and only Son, and the only name by which people are saved.

No comments:

Post a Comment